Vol. LVI March 2018 No. 9
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6300 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 195, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
Listen to ACB Reports by downloading the MP3 file from www.acb.org, or call (518) 906-1820 and choose option 8. Tune in to ACB Radio at www.acbradio.org or by calling (518) 906-1820.
Learn more about us at www.acb.org. Follow us on Twitter at @acbnational, or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AmericanCounciloftheBlindOfficial.
© 2018 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- In Memoriam: Mary Jane “M.J.” Hills Schmitt, by Mary Beth Metzger
- President’s Message: Flying Needs to Remain Friendly for Guide Dog Handlers, by Kim Charlson
- Voting in ACB: A Proposal for Your Consideration, by Jeff Thom
- Getting Out the Word about You, by Ron Brooks
- Propel to the Next Level: Apply to Become a 2018 ACB & JPMorgan Chase Leadership Fellow, by Kenneth Semien Sr.
- Knowledge Is Power: Step into a New Realm!, by Kenneth Semien Sr.
- 2018 Convention Sneak Preview: Special-Interest Affiliates and Committees, by Janet Dickelman
- Continuing Education Opportunities with ACB, by Carla Ruschival and Leslie Spoone
- All Aboard the Dillon Express, by Katie Frederick
- Broke Your New Year’s Resolutions Already? Resolve to Support ACB through the MMS Program
- Crossroads – Let Your Journey Begin, by Amanda Selm
- Holiday Auction Thank-Yous, by Carla Ruschival
- Affiliate News
- ACB Officers, Board of Directors and Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.
Keep up with the most important ACB news and announcements without any other chatter. Subscribe to the ACB Announce listserv. Send a blank e-mail to email@example.com, or visit www.ablists.org/mailman/listinfo/announce and type your e-mail address and name where indicated.
For news you can use, check out the new ACB Radio World News and Information at www.acbradio.org.
ACB Radio’s Main Menu is the talk of the town when it comes to technology; check it out at www.acbradio.org.